Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Google OS

Today in the news, Google has verified that it has been working on a Google OS, based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu being the beloved cousin of my favorite Linux flavor Kubuntu.

I really couldn't be more thrilled about this. My sincere hope is that the following happens:

1. Google releases their Linux based Google OS and sells them vigorously through the standard retailers.
2. Hardware manufacturers begin to release open-source Linux drivers.
3. Game develpers begin to release Linux ports of popular games leading to:
4. I can finally delete my last ntfs partition and end my dysfunctional relationship with Microsoft.

Who knows if it will go exactly this way. I tend to think it will. Whether Google decides to get into the OS for sale business, or just gives it away, I think that days when the technical press can say that Linux isn't ready for the desktop with a straight face are numbered. Thank god.

-K

No comments: